Education: University of California, Berkeley, PhD, M.S., B.A.
Kirk Martini teaches structural design as well as photography at the University of Virginia School of Architecture. He received a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Architecture from the University of California at Berkeley in 1980, a Master of Science in Structural Engineering and a Master of Architecture in 1982, and a Ph.D. in Structural Engineering in 1990: all from U.C. Berkeley. He is a licensed Civil Engineer in California and has worked with Skidmore, Owings and Merrill in San Francisco. In 1989 he worked as a graduate student summer intern at Taisei Construction in Tokyo, and completed post-doctoral studies at Tokyo University in 1992. Since then, he has taught at UVa, where he received a Lilly Endowment Teaching Fellowship, two Teaching and Technology Fellowships, and a resident fellowship at the Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities. In 2007, his Arcade software for interactive non-linear dynamic structural analysis won the Premier award for engineering education software. In 2008 he won a UVA All-University Teaching Award, and in 2016 won a UVA Excellence in Faculty Mentoring Award. His research interests include non-linear structural analysis, interactive computer animation, and structural optimization.
- Utilitarian to Aesthetic: The Evolution of Base Isolation 2015 Conference of the International Association of Bridge and Structural Engineers. Nara, Japan. May 13-15, 2015.
- Multiobjective optimization of structure and visual qualities. 2015 Symposium on Simulation for Architecture and Urban Design, SimAUD 2015.
- Harmony Search Method for Multimodal Size, Shape, and Topology Optimization of Structural Frameworks, Journal of Structural Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineering, vol 137, no. 11, November 2011, pp. 1332-1339.
- Optimization and parametric modelling to support conceptual structural design, International Journal of Architectural Computing, vol 9, issue 2, 2011, pp. 151-166.
- Nonlinear Dynamics: An Intuitive Digital Representation of Structure, Journal of Education in the Built Environment 8(1) 73-85, Dec 2013, DOI: 10.11120/jebe.2013.00002