Location: 133 Chancellor Street
The Delta Psi Fraternity first informally occupied House F on Dawson's Row. Given the Row's social reputation, the deed for the new fraternity house stipulated that it be used “as though the said lot was the private residence of a gentleman and his family”. Designed by a New York architect, Delta Psi (also known as St. Anthony's Hall, or "The Hall") features white columns and red brick that speaks to the University's Jeffersonian style.
Date: 1905, addition made in 1929
Location: 128 Madison Lane
Architect: Professor William E. Peters, addition by Stanislaw Makielski
In 1905, retired U.Va. Latin Professor William E. Peters built this chapter house for fraternities to rent. In 1913 Phi Gamma Delta's Omicron Chapter House Society (which received a charter in 1909) purchased the building to establish a reading room, study hall and chapter house to "create and foster literary, social and fraternal intercourse" among its members. After St. Anthony Hall, this chapter house is the oldest one standing at U.Va.
The building helped establish the precedent for appropriating the University's Jeffersonian architectural forms in fraternity chapter house design. In fact, the red brick, white trim and the tetra style portico with its tympanum semi-lunette window in the pediment was closely modeled on the Lawn's Pavilion X, which Peters and his family lived directly opposite when they lived on the Lawn. Peters' chapter house project involved accommodating University students in a residential form previously reserved for faculty members.
In 1928 Phi Gamma Delta (also known as "Fiji") commissioned architect Stanislaw Makielski to add a south wing to the house. The three-story wing provided space for a larger dining room on the first floor, four bedrooms on the second floor, and a new chapter room on the third floor. Fiji still occupies the house today.
Date: 1911-1921, 1922
Location: 160 Madison Lane
The original Phi Kappa Sigma house stood from 1911—1921, when it was destroyed by fire. A replica with less detailing was built on the same site in 1922.
Location: 159 Madison Lane
Architect: Stanislaw Makielski
Phi Kappa Psi first made its home in House E on Dawson's Row; by the mid 1920s, the fraternity was living on University Place.
The national chapter of Phi Kappa Psi realized the importance of providing housing for its members as early as the late 1880s, and started a campaign to have as many chapters as possible acquire living quarters. One brother eloquently expressed the importance of a house, asking, "Which will give you more standing in the eyes of coming students: a comfortable, commodious home, or the recital to alien ears of bygone glories which your precious shekels have bought?"
Stanislaw Makielski designed a permanent home for the fraternity in 1928-1929. Makielski was a frequently-used architect in Charlottesville: he also designed an addition to the Sigma Nu Fraternity house and the south wing of the Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity house. By 1929, the Phi Kappa Psi brothers were living in a spacious house with a kitchen, pantry, dining room, soiree room, library, guest room and a chapter office.
Location: Rugby Road
The 1923-24 chapter house of Zeta Psi was designed to replicate Jefferson's nearby home, Monticello. Because of its "beauty and general appropriateness," the University made them a "very generous offer of assistance." Fundraising efforts stressed that Zeta Psi was "YOUR personal connection with your University."
Rowdy behavior was not uncommon in the early days of fraternities. Zeta Psi alumni voiced their financial and emotional support of chapter houses, provided that current fraternity members behaved appropriately. "Even those [Elder Brothers] who were wild in college look down on drinking and gambling in a Fraternity house... Have they a good crowd of fellows and he would support the chapter strongly if they would cut out their carelessness," remarked Fred N.Bumeyer in 1912.
The resulting house had ten bedrooms, a chapter room, billiard room, card room, library and a large living room with a fireplace. Unlike other fraternity houses, Zeta Psi did not include dining facilities; brothers obtained food from the University Confectionary and the Staple and Fancy Groceries store.
Location: Culbreth Road
Architect: Louis Justemente, addition by Stanislaw Makielski
The Sigma Nu fraternity brothers' first house was a former boarding house located on Madison Lane. Built by Eppar Rixey, Jr., the house was a large, rectangular structure with wrap-around porches on either side. Rixey, a University alumnus who later played professional baseball, used his earnings to build the house for his family to run as a boarding house. The fraternity lived in this house from 1919 to circa 1928.
In 1929, the brothers commissioned architect Louis Justemente to design a new house. Later, local architect and alumnus Stanislaw Makielski designed an addition. The exterior facade incorporates a monumental circular portico, brick and traditonal white trim. The first floor plan includes two massive rooms for living and dining. The second and third floors are used for bedrooms ranging from 10 x 13 feet to 15 x 16 feet.
Location: 150 Madison Lane
Before inabiting their current chapter house, the Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity brothers moved frequently. They occupied a house on Chancellor Street in 1906, but by 1921 they were in a house on Rugby Road. The current lot on Madison lane was purchased in 1924 from the Chi Phi Fraternity, whose chapter house had been reduced to its frame by a fire. Construction of Sigma Phi Epsilon's new and present house ended in 1925.
The house distinctly references the University style with its large portico, red brick and white trim. At 6300 square feet and with four floors, it is one of the largest fraternity houses at U.Va.
Location: 600 Rugby Road
At the turn of the last century, fire damaged many buildings at U.Va, including the fraternity houses of Kappa Alpha, Chi Phi and Kappa Sigma. Kappa Alpha's house on Chancellor Street made College Topics headlines on February 6, 1907: "Fire Destroys Chapter House." The fraternity brothers temporarily rented Pavilion VII on the West Lawn while it built a house at the corner of Rugby Road and Grady Avenue in 1909.