WASHINGTON      PLACES                          University of Virginia            School of Architecture
   Dedicated to the design analysis of avenues, streets,
   squares and parks of the District of Columbia.

 
     

 

    16th Street
  O to Corcoran
    0 to P Street

 


1903

 

At 1401 Sixteenth Street, a prominent residence was built in 1888 by Samuel and Charles Edmonston for Susan Shields, the widow of a newspaper publisher. The large scaled Richardsonian style brick house has a massive hip roof, many prominent chimneys and a round corner tower.

 

 


1954

In 1908, Andrew Carnegie's Institution was built on the southeast corner of Sixteenth and P Streets.  According to the Commission of Fine Arts study on Sixteenth Street, the decision to build on Sixteenth Street was guided by the following: "...the site should be in a higher, more healthy, and pleasant location than could be found in the central city, but at the same time, not more than fifteen minutes from the Willard Hotel at Fourteenth and Pennsylvania."  (Page 290, Volume 2).  The Institution was designed as a simple but dignified and monumental building, adding a majestic character to this section of the street.

The limestone clad building was designed in a grand neoclassical style by the famed New York architects Carrere & Hastings. An addition for a lecture room, exhibit hall, offices and P Street entrance was completed in 1937 by the well known architects Delano and Aldrich.

From 1904-1907, the Shields House was the home of Senator Russel Alger. From 1910-1912, Vice President James Sherman lived there.


1999
In the 1960's and 1970's many of the existing residences were restored and converted to apartments or small offices.  For example, the 1888 Susan Shields House now serves as the Embassy of Kazakhstan.

In 1958, the Carnegie Institution increased its parking capacity and frontage on Sixteenth Street by purchasing the adjacent lot and demolishing the structure.

One of the newest additions to the street is the National Wildlife Federation built in 1990 at the corner of Sixteenth and O, replacing  a  post 1940's structure. Its design by Keyes Condon Florance has been recognized for non-institutional aesthetic and bas-relief panels of animals.


Susan Shields House


Carnegie Institution


National Wildlife Federation

 

 

 

 
PREV
BLOCK

NEXT
BLOCK
16th STREET
MAP
HOME