Members of the A-School Dean’s Forum are invited to join Dean Beth Meyer and the U.Va. School of Architecture Foundation for our 27th Annual A-School Dean’s Forum Dinner, to be held on Saturday, September 26, 2015 at the Ruins at Barboursville. Cocktails at 6PM and Dinner to follow at 7PM, with the presentation of the 2015 A-School Distinguished Alumni Award.
Additional events during Dean’s Forum Weekend:
- Friday, 9/25 – The A-School will be hosting alumni mentoring of students at Campbell Hall, time TBD. If you would like to participate, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Friday, 9/25 – There is a home football game, U.Va. vs. Boise State, time TBD.
- Saturday, 9/26 – There will be events at the School of Architecture during the day to welcome alumni back to Campbell Hall – more details to come.
Hotel Blocks for the A-School Dean’s Forum Dinner 2015 – make your reservations today!
Inn at Darden
100 Darden Boulevard, Charlottesville, VA 22906
Rate: $165 per night
Group name: UVA School of Architecture Foundation Board Meeting/Dean’s Forum
Deadline: August 24
(about 21 miles from Barboursville, on the North Grounds. 30 minute drive)
2100 Bond Street, Charlottesville, VA 22901
Rate: $139 (Thurs), $179 (Fri/Sat)
Group Code: G-UAF5
Deadline: August 9
(new hotel in the Stonefield Shopping area, about 20 miles from Barboursville. 30 minute drive)
The School also has rooms available at Barboursville’s 1804 Inn, right on the property. There are only 10 rooms total, therefore first priority goes to Dean’s Forum Members at the Partner Level ($5000+ to the A-School Annual Fund). Please contact Kim Wong Haggart for more details and availability.
There are not many hotels immediately near Barboursville, but the venue did suggest several B&B’s or Inns within 10 miles, that you may call for availability. We did not reserve room blocks at these locations since they are small:
Questions about the dinner or how to become a Dean’s Forum Member? Contact Kim Wong Haggart in the A-School Foundation; 434.982.2761 or email@example.com
Barboursville was the estate of James Barbour (1775-1842), significant in early American history as Governor of Virginia (1812-1814), United States Senator, United States Secretary of War, and Minister to Great Britain. Barbour began to acquire land in 1796 and ultimately amassed over 6,000 acres in Orange and Albemarle Counties. Part of his original holding remained in the Barbour family over five generations, until the 1940s.
Barbour’s friend, neighbor and political mentor, Thomas Jefferson, designed the estate’s main house, constructed early in 1817 but devastated by fire on Christmas Day, 1884. Other buildings, remnants of structures, traces of roads, a cemetery, gardens, and a half-mile oval collectively offer extensive evidence of this significant nineteenth-century cultural landscape.
Gutted by and abandoned after the 1884 fire, the remaining house ruin continues to stand at the center of a cross-axial estate plan. Facades of locally-made brick were originally fronted along both north and south by four portico columns each side. Exterior walls still stand nearly to the original roofline, the interior walls are substantially intact, and structural stabilization was conducted in the early 1980s. The dwelling includes an octagonal room, at the east, beam pockets and pier footings indicate a side porch was once present. There is evidence that an effective drainage system was once in place. The approach to the house on grass ramps at grade with the second story would have made it possible to ride directly to the front door and dismount beneath the portico.
In the late 1970s Professors Mario di Valmarana and Benjamin Howland devised and for several years oversaw extensive Historic Sites field courses, study and research of the ruin and site by School of Architecture students, assisted by the National Park Service Division of Remote Sensing. By 1981, student work had been concluded and measured drawings produced documenting the ruin and the extensive landscape plan and its numerous features.
By Rosa Crocker (MLA ’81); edited by Calder Loth (BAH ’65, MAH ’67)